Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Privacy or No privacy...that is the question.


Facebook Shuts Down RSS Feed App
By Marshall Kirkpatrick on Info Architecture




These two new posts were in my Bloglines box today. I found it amusing that one (Kirkpatrick)was raising Cain about Facebook's cutting out the opportunity to make sharing data easier and the other was really worried about Googles new "locator" that provides information about where you are by city or longitude, latitude.


Sounds like we're caught between a rock and a hard place. I struggle to understand all the techy type details but one thing is for sure you can't have it both ways. Either my information is secure and I can choose when I share and when I don't OR it's not and I lose control of who can access my information and what they do with it. Maybe that's an oversimplification but I hope we continue to err on the side of secure at the level I choose.


I wonder if Frederic and Marshall read each other's posts...maybe we're talking about apples and oranges but the more data I share on various sites the more I have concerns about where it's going. I think it's even a little creepy to have a website suggest a "friend". Perhaps that's because I'm not a digital native. Let me know what you think. As always. Thanks for listening, Leslie

1 comment:

  1. Leslie, I found out first hand about the Google Locator. My iPhone has Maps and it is accessed through Google. As long as I have my iPhone with me it can locate my position and utilize that information with my permission. As always we need to use these devices with care. Ihave to admit that without Maps and GPS I would get lost regularly due to a directionally problem. Hello from Scottsdale and see you next Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Word 2007 Lessons